texinfo doesnt function

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Oct 11 08:23:39 PDT 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2007-10-10 16:48:40 -0400, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>>
>>> Can't this be changed?
>>
>> Sure ... it's just software.
>>
>> However, I'm not sure it makes sense to have them run in direct
>> mode, since the activate/deactivate phases don't run.
>
> Is there any reason? I'd say that in direct mode, when installing a
> port, it is automatically activated (because the files get available
> in $prefix), and when uninstalling it, it is automatically
> deactivated.

You can think of it conceptually that way, I suppose.

What really happens is that activate/deactivate create the links from
the place where the software is actually installed by macports to $
{prefix}. activate/deactivate didn't exist until image mode was
invented.

Since direct mode installs software directly into ${prefix}, activate/
deactivate don't have any meaning and don't get run (and therefore
pre/post activate/deactivate don't run either).

I imagine that activate/deactivate phases that do nothing could be
run in direct mode, but I don't see why that would be necessary.

--
Daniel J. Luke