Why no binaries?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 19:11:09 PDT 2007

I've looked through the archives and found a few older discussions on
this. I even found mention of trial binary repository at the old
darwinports.org. But I want to ask again and see if there is any new
information available.

Why doesn't MacPorts supply binary packages? To me, there doesn't seem
to be a better *nix platform for such a thing. You have the choice of
PPC or Intel. So even if a package can't be compiled +universal, it
would only require two binary packages for each port. I imagine there
are a few ports that would benefit from being compiled specifically
for a G4, G5, or Intel processor, but those can't be too numerous.
Even with all that, it isn't like the scale would be as massive as
Debian.

If work is being done to implement this, how advanced is it? Could we
expect to see it soon?

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/