Is there any value to packages? [was Re: Why no binaries?]

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sat Oct 27 15:59:42 PDT 2007

	I forgot the icing on the cake:

On Oct 27, 2007, at 6:20 PM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	Building (binary) *packages* (and not "archives" as produced by
> archivemode and as explained by Anders), is one of MacPorts topmost
> long term goals, but trust me when I say that doing them right is
> by far much much more difficult than it sounds:
>
> 1) putting together a clean build environment and off it creating
> reliable, traceable & reproducible builds of a particular port,
> it's "destroot". A lot of work on this front has gone into MacPorts
> lately (mainly Eugene Epimenov's "trace mode" improvements) but
> unfortunately we're still lacking some key functionality to call
> our software infrastructure "complete" (runtime actions logging and
> server side processing of the build logs, among other things). I've
> been very busy with our new website lately but do plan to devote
> some energy into this in the hopefully not too distant future.
>
> 2) Once the build product, the destroot, is done and considered
> reliable, packaging it into, say, an rpm and/or a deb package is a
> completely different topic, with its own intricacies and
> integration issues between MacPorts and the packaging format we
> still need to sort out.

3) Package distribution and install time dependency resolving (which
is different from build time dependency resolving, what MacPorts
currently has) is yet a new dimension we also need to tie into to do
packages "the right way". Granted that modern package managers have a
sizable bit of this work covered already, but that by no means
guarantees that we'll be able to drive blindfolded once we enter that
terrain.

	Again, not-trying-to-discourage-anyone-but-actually-setting-the-
record-straight-to-explain-why-we're-taking-so-long-to-deliver-
packages....

-jmpp