avahi port installs org.freedesktop.* files

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 22:22:40 PDT 2007

On Oct 28, 2007, at 10:12 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> The hypothetical "dry run" command already exists anyway: "sudo
> port destroot theport" and then look into the port's work/destroot
> directory to see what's in there.

Not the same thing at all.

ports contents avahi returns this:
Port avahi contains:
   /opt/local/bin/avahi-bookmarks
   /opt/local/bin/avahi-browse
   /opt/local/bin/avahi-browse-domains
   /opt/local/bin/avahi-discover
   /opt/local/bin/avahi-discover-standalone

This is not the same thing as installing to the destroot and then
having to grope around in there.

What I originally said:

> in v1.6 would a sanity check to port, akin to the "dry run" command
> I see in various utilities, make sense? Right now we have "port
> contents" that spells out a port has installed, but it only works
> after the fact.  It has always seemed to be that it should tell you
> what's in a port, regardless of whether it has been installed or not.

may not have been clear but the idea would be that a list of files
would be generated *without building anything.*