fetching from closer mirrors?

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 15:56:27 PDT 2007

On 9/21/07, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Sep 18, 2007, at 21:49, paul beard wrote:
>
> > as I watch my port upgrade process scroll by (as much as progress on
> > an 800 MHz G4 can be called scrolling), I wonder if there is some way
> > to fetch from geographically nearer mirrors. Lyon, FR, is a long way
> > from here, and even if they have oodles of bandwidth, avoiding
> > trans-oceanic hops is probably a good idea.
> >
> > I know I can hack the order of mirrors but that's not persistent.
> > Would there any way to add a list per continent or region with that
> > region specified at install time?
>
> As I recall you've brought this up several times, but I think the
> idea needs to be fleshed out more and more-precisely defined: exactly
> how would this feature work, how would it behave, how would it be
> implemented, would there be any downsides, etc. Developer time is
> limited, and we have very few people who are comfortable coding in
> base, so a much more precise specification of the feature is needed.

several times? Yikes, I sound like a nag ;-)
I think something as simple as a per continent or region list of mirrors is
all that's needed. North America-based installs would use mirrors on that
continent, European-based folks would use theirs, etc.

It's not a big deal but it does seem inefficient to fetch stuff across
oceans . . . .
--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at mac.com>