xv and png

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Apr 4 17:39:41 PDT 2008

Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
> standard  `xv'   does  not have png support although patches
> seem to exist.

The standard xv release does not support PNG images according to the
homepage. Even if there are any patches available somewhere, they are
not applied at the moment.

There is an official patch on the downloads page, "Patch to read/write
PNG files" [1].

The statement in the description is, "This version has been patched to
support the PNG & PhotoCD image types." But it seems that it is just
using the standard source distribution without additional patches.

> `port  info  xv'  lists `libpng'  as one of the dependencies
> and PNG is explicitely mentioned under  the  supported  file
> formats.   therefore  I installed it hoping for PNG support,
> but without success: no display of png images.

Strange enough, it is really linked against libpng. But it can't display
PNG images for me neither.

$ otool -L /opt/local/bin/xv
/opt/local/bin/xv:
[...]
         /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib (compatibility version 63.0.0,
current version 63.0.0)
         /opt/local/lib/libtiff.3.dylib (compatibility version 12.0.0,
current version 12.2.0)
         /usr/X11/lib/libpng.3.dylib (compatibility version 4.0.0,
current version 4.0.0)
[...]

Rainer

[1] http://www.trilon.com/xv/downloads.html#png-patch