upgrade outdated conflicts

Tom Allison tom at tacocat.net
Sun Apr 6 03:42:34 PDT 2008

I'm struggling with the upgrade process right now.

I've completed the following:
selfupdate
upgrade outdated

But now I have soem mixed packages like:
postgresql81
postgresql82
postgresql83

in addition to postgres 8.2 having three versions itself.

There are mayby 50+ of these right now.

port -u upgrade outdated never completed successfully because of
dependencies.

Question:  I would like to remove as many of these old versions as I can
but it seems that getting all the dependencies out of the way is going
to take a while for all the packages to be updated by the maintainer.
If I wait and just keep running '-u update outdated' will I eventually
clean up all the old packages?

And can someone make any suggestion on what to do with the version
conflicts like perl5.8/perl5.10 and postgresql81..83.  I eventually
would like to migrate everything to a common package like perl 5.10 but
I guess right now I really can't do that because of things like
p5-dbd-pg still being tied back to 5.10...

Will package upgrades like perl5.8 eventually upgrade themselves to
perl5.10 once all the package dependencies are also upgrade?