gEDA ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 14 21:42:51 PDT 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 12:30 PM, Mark Anderson wrote:
> I have some Portfiles that install gEDA(http://geda.seul.org). Before
> I submit a ticket to add them, I have a question.
>
> Should I separate the Portfiles for each component, (e.g. geda-libgeda
> , geda-gschem) or one big port file that installs the whole thing?
> (e.g.  geda)

I'm not familiar with the software, so here's some general guidelines:

Reasons to make separate portfiles:

- each component comes as its own distfile (like a separate .tar.bz2
file to download for each component)
- each component has its own configure / make / make install sequence

Reasons to make a single mega-port:

- everything comes in a single distfile and is built with a single
configure / make / make install invocation (possibly with additional
configure flags to build the components)

If you go for a single port, then the question is whether to always
build each component, or whether to create a variant for all or some
components to enable them.

Reasons to add variants:

- an infrequently-used component has dependencies on additional ports

Reasons to skip the variants and just always include a component:

- a user of the software would reasonably expect the component to be
present
- the component has no other dependencies, or only dependencies on
one or two small ports which will build quickly