Building cairomm (inkscape dependency) fails

Jason Merrill jason.merrill at yale.edu
Sat Apr 19 07:34:17 PDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 1:51 AM, Guido Soranzio
<guido.soranzio at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2008, at 11:03 PM, Jason Merrill wrote:
>
>  I have committed a new revision of cairomm-1.6 which does the
>  reverse and redefine "Status" before including the Carbon headers:
>  <http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/changeset/36132>.
>  Could you please test it?

The install went through, and I'm now drawing in Inkscape.  Awesome.
Thanks so much for your help.

>  There is still a problem with Inkscape 0.46, though: the Python
>  plugins require a "python" interpreter in your $PATH which should
>  link to MacPorts' own python2.5.
>
>  With Inkscape 0.45 a simple patch enforced Inkscape to use directly
>  ${prefix}/bin/python2.5 but it doesn't seem to work anymore
>  so the new "live effects" don't work without the trick above.
>
>  -Guido

As you suggest, the live effects aren't working, giving a warning
about wanting lxml[1].  I don't quite get the "trick" though.  My path
already includes /opt/local/bin, where phython2.5 lives.  Should I
have to specify something else?  I tried running

bash-3.2$ export PATH=/opt/local/bin/phython2.5:$PATH
bash-3.2$ inkscape

just to see, but I get the same error when trying to use live effects.
 And lxml is definitely installed.

jmerrill:bin jm843$ port installed | grep lxml
  py25-lxml @2.0.4_0 (active)

Can you be more explicit about what I need to do?

And a somewhat tangential question: The reason I wanted to install
Inkscape with Macports instead of the binary is that I really want to
get TexText going, and it wasn't working with the binary install.  It
complains about needing py-xml, even though py25-xml is already
installed.  TexText had previously worked with a Macports install of
inkscape 0.45.  Any advice on this one?

[1] The fantastic lxml wrapper for libxml2 is required by inkex.py and
therefore this extension. Please download and install the latest
version from <http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/lxml/>, or install it
through your package manager by a command like: sudo apt-get install
python-lxml