Having a pretty rough time getting php5 installed

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Aug 9 16:38:31 PDT 2008

Scott Haneda wrote:
> port uninstall mysql5 and reinstall worked, but I have some comments,
> as the docs are a little off, which is why this was not working for me
> I think...
>
> Specifically this page http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/MAMP
>
> This will not work: sudo mysql5 mysql_install_db5
> This will not work: sudo mysql_install_db5
>
> Sending in the user of mysql will work, so the correct command is:
> sudo -u mysql mysql_install_db5

Thanks for spotting this, I edited the wiki.

> On my system I do not have local/var/log
> sudo chown -R mysql:mysql /opt/local/var/log/mysql5/
> So that will error, maybe there should be a log dir, not sure, not
> sure what would make it.  The docs here at least do tell you maybe try
> another set of permission commands

Can't comment on this one, I don't know if mysql5 is supposed to create
/opt/local/var/log/mysql5/.

> * what are these poops all over the place? .turd_mysql5

This is a special file which prevents port from deleting this directory
even if it is empty as the mysql5 port needs it.

> All the docs use a strange "–", so copy and paste will fail, such as
> ps –ax | grep mysql does not work, but of course ps -ax | grep mysql
> does work.  Small detail, but to someone who does not know, they would
> get stuck on that.

Thanks again, replaced those on the wiki.

> This command is going to need sudo, fixing of the dash, removal of the
> -p:
> mysqladmin5 –u root –p password <new-password>
>
> So, the correct usage is: mysqladmin -u root password NEWPASSWORD

I prefer:
mysqladmin5 -u root password -p

This will ask for the new password and prevents it to get saved in the
shell history. Again, edited the wiki.

Rainer