netcat won't install

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Tue Aug 12 12:26:47 PDT 2008

On Aug 12, 2008, at 8:20 AM, myron wrote:

> I tried installing netcat and the following problems came up. I
> couldn't find anything in the macports archvies on this issue.
> I'm new to macports (and really love it), but it looks like the
> checksum is wrong in Portfile. Should I just change it to what the
> target has?
>
> myron$ sudo port -dnv install netcat
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for nc110.tgz
> Portfile checksum: nc110.tgz md5 402632f2fe01c169ff19a0ad6e9d608c
> Distfile checksum: nc110.tgz md5 13826ef466aeb862635f89688b8a74bc

One of two possibilities here, either the download became corrupted
during transfer, or you happened to grab it from the third mirror
listed, which returns an HTML page [1].  Try running

sudo port clean --all netcat

Then try your install again.  If it still fails, do the clean again,
then before you do the install, run
sudo env MASTER_SITE_LOCAL=http://distfiles.macports.org/netcat port -
v fetch netcat
This will force port to grab from the MacPorts mirror first [2].
After that, the install should work.

Bryan

[1] - <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16296>
[2] - <http://trac.macports.org/wiki/ProblemHotlist#Fetchfailures>