Macports selfupdates

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 15 19:55:55 PDT 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 21:04, mark brethen wrote:

> I'm currently at v1.440 of Macports, running OS 10.3.9. I will soon be
> updating the Mac OS to 10.4.11. Anything I should know about Macports
> before I install the new OS?

Indeed there is some stuff you should know!

Ports installed on one major version of Mac OS X won't necessarily
work right on a different major version of Mac OS X. So my
recommendation is really to make a note of which ports you've
installed (see "port installed"), uninstall MacPorts, upgrade your
OS, then reinstall MacPorts and the ports you want. Be sure to keep
any config files you modified or any databases or web pages or other
data that may be in your old MacPorts installation. You should probably:

rename /opt/local to /opt/local-10.3
rename /Applications/MacPorts to /Applications/MacPorts-10.3
rename /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 to /Library/Tcl/macports1.0-10.3

Then update your OS to 10.4. (It's not a problem if you update your
OS first, then rename those items.) In the Mac OS X installer, make
sure you check the box for installing X11.

Then install Xcode 2.5. You can't use the Xcode 1.x that you were
using from Mac OS X 10.3.9, and you shouldn't use Xcode older than
2.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.x. If your Mac OS X DVD comes with an older
version of Xcode 2, download Xcode 2.5 from http://
developer.apple.com and use that. When you install Xcode, make sure
the box for the X11 SDK is checked.

Then install the MacPorts 1.6.0 disk image for Mac OS X 10.4.

Then you can install your ports again.

Then you can move over any data or config files from /opt/local-10.3