Uninstall non-active packages

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 7 13:40:32 PST 2008

On Dec 7, 2008, at 15:23, Bart Masschelein wrote:

> Is there a way to get a list of the non-active packages, so one
> could do sth like sudo port uninstall <list>, or sudo port clean
> <list>? I never use the -u option (read: I only recently discovered
> it, and will start using it from now one ;-)), hence I have a lot
> of non-active packages laying around.
>
> Or in short: how can I get rid of non-active packages, for which
> new versions are already installed?

Sure:

sudo port uninstall inactive

Note that this won't quite work right in MacPorts 1.6.0: it will
complain that you are uninstalling a dependency of another port, even
though you're not, really -- you have newer versions active already.
In MacPorts 1.7.0 this will work right. Until then, you need to force
it with:

sudo port -f uninstall inactive