sudo port -f uninstall lame: DOES NOT UNINSTALL DEPENDENCIES

Scott lovecraftian at mac.com
Thu Dec 18 01:13:06 PST 2008

Emmanuel Hainry <milosh <at> macports.org> writes:

> According to the man page -f is for force mode. When uninstalling a port
> that has dependents (not dependencies), port will stop if you don't use
> the -f switch. If you force the uninstall, it will render the dependents
> unworking, but it will uninstall however.

Thank you very much.  You explained it perfectly, and I understand the
logic behind protecting dependents.  Also, now that I think about it, since
a dependency-port may have multiple dependents, killing a given port's
dependencies may do unforeseen harm since that dependency may have
OTHER dependents.