Upgrading ncurses & ncursesw fails

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sat Dec 20 13:03:55 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 03:57:37PM +0100, Matthias Dietrich said:
> Hi list,
>
> I just migrated from a MacBook Air to a new MacBook Pro.  I tried to
> upgrade first all outdated ports, when failed I tried to upgrad all
> installed ports (I thought there may be a problem from the migration) but
> it fails also at ncurses. The installation process hangs after the
> following output:
>
>   You may see messages regarding extended capabilities, e.g., AX.
>   These are extended terminal capabilities which are compiled
>   using
>   	tic -x
>   If you have ncurses 4.2 applications, you should read the INSTALL
>   document, and install the terminfo without the -x option.
>
> I googled and found that this may be a dependency problem, so I tried to
> upgrad ncursesw manually after cleaning both ncurses and ncursesw.  But
> upgrading ncrusesw fails, too, with the following messages:
>
>   --->  Unable to uninstall ncursesw 5.7_0, the following ports depend on
> it:
>   --->    ncurses
>   Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
>   Error: Uninstall ncursesw 5.7_0 failed: Registry error: Please specify
> the name of the port.

What were the exact commands you used to get to this point?

> So, ncursesw cannot be updated because it depends on ncurses, and ncurses
> cannot be updated because it depends on ncursesw (which it doesn't know).
> Now, how can I do an `upgrade outdated`?
>
> Need help :)!
>
> Greetings,
>  matt
>
> P.S.: I noticed that there are two versions of ncurses installed:
>
>    The following ports are currently installed:
>      ncurses @5.6_0 (active)
>      ncurses @5.7_0 (active)
>
> Is this a problem?

Yeah, that looks wrong, both shouldn't be active at the same time; how about
for the ncursesw port?  Are there any other ports which are like this?  If
not, it can probably be fixed with some forced uninstalling of those, and
reinstalling.

Bryan