MPlayer failing to install

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sun Dec 21 13:00:33 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 01:52:56PM -0500, Tim Visher said:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Bryan Blackburn <blb at macports.org> wrote:
>
> > Does it show up with 'port installed giflib'?
>
> Nope. It didn't.  Weird.
>
> I went ahead and installed giflib manually and ran into another weird
> problem.  Apparently, gif2epsn, which giflib depends on, was already
> being used by another port, libungif.  I deactivated libungif, and
> then installed giflib with no problem.  Now, when I tried to activate
> libungif, it gets the same issue.  I activated with the `-f` flag and
> I got the following output.

So you already had libungif which should have supplied the library mplayer
was looking for, not sure why it wasn't.  Going forward, giflib is the
preferred port these days, so switching from libungif to giflib should
eventually happen anyway.

Though you shouldn't have both libungif and giflib active at the same time,
just use giflib and completely kill libungif, force uninstall it if
necessary.  Though since you did a force activate of libungif, you will
probably have to deactivate/reactivate giflib to get the files back.

Bryan

[...]