libxml2 woes (PHP5 and friends)

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Sun Dec 28 07:29:38 PST 2008

On 2008-12-28 , at 02:01 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Hi Thomas. I'm afraid I don't know of any fix at this time. Chris
> Janton mentioned in his last message that things now worked for him,
> but I didn't understand why.

On my 10.5 system things are working well. On my 10.3 system, not so
well.

The "fix" happened when this change was applied

	http://trac.macports.org/changeset/43388

As far as I understand it we need to tell PHP to use "expat" as
opposed to defaulting to using libxml2 for parsing.

Somewhere in mid-2008 this configuration option for PHP

	--with-expat-dir=${prefix}

needed to be changed to this configuration option

	--with-libexpat-dir=${prefix}

that causes PHP to use expat instead of libxml2, so the old behavior
"returned".

The renaming of the configure option for PHP 5.1 or later was noted at http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=34221
  back in August, 2005.

8)