libtool woes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Feb 4 10:33:58 PST 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 12:03, Anders F Björklund wrote:

>>> This problem is since the change to "/usr/bin/gcc-4.0" for CC.
>>> Switching compiler back to "gcc" (or "gcc-4.0") makes it work.
>>> Something like: port build configure.cc=gcc configure.cxx=g++
>
>> Please, could someone explain what "port build configure.cc=gcc
>> configure.cxx=g++" means? Do I have to downgrade gcc? How?
>
> If the problem is that libtool thinks the compiler is "gcc",
> and macports is passing "/usr/bin/gcc-4.0" instead - then
> it can be worked around by adding similar such parameters:
> sudo port build apache2 configure.cc=gcc configure.cxx=g++
>
> Or you can try rebuilding libtool, as suggested elsewhere.

libtool's revision has been bumped so that everyone will be forced to
rebuild it so that this problem should disappear.

>> I have been trying to have apache2 + php5 + mysql5 working on my
>> Mac for two days. I think changes to a resource like port should
>> be made only after extensive testing (or am I using an unstable
>> version?). It's all so frustrating...
>
> Sorry to hear that. I think the change was made for 1.5.1.

I thought the change was made for 1.6.0?

Anyway, MacPorts is developed by a small team of volunteers. Nobody's
getting paid to do this work. There isn't an extensive network of
testers. When stuff breaks, we try to fix it. We do the best we can.