p5-getopt-long and perl5.8 - activation error

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Feb 5 07:13:03 PST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:50 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2008-02-05 09:35:38 -0500, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> The only reason why that dependency should be specified is if the
>> port
>> needs the newer version of that module than is provided by perl
>> core. If
>> the dependency really isn't needed, perhaps you should open a
>> ticket with
>> the port maintainer and get them to remove the dependency?
>
> BTW, I did that for p5-archive-tar, but bug #13745 is still open after
> more than a month...

because you and the maintainer seem to disagree as to whether the
dependency is valid or not.

> Also, non-core versions of core modules should be seen as development
> versions, so that ports should never depend on them (does anyone have
> any example where this is necessary?).

svk requires newer versions of CORE modules than those that ship with
perl5.8

The perl community doesn't consider newer released versions of CORE
modules as 'development versions'.

We really need to do one of a couple of things:

- Change the perl port to install a minimum perl along with individual
ports for each of the CORE modules
- Change the @INC ordering (thus making our perl act differently from
the upstream perl and potentially break any ports that rely on the
current behavior of @INC ordering)
- Force users to set $PERL5LIB and/or patch everything to use a custom
$PERL5LIB

Since there are serious drawbacks to each approach, and no one seems
to have had time to work out a complete solution, we're stuck with the
status-quo

I'm sure everyone would be happy if you have an implementation of one
of those solutions (or something else that's better) available for all
of us to use.
--
Daniel J. Luke