Is HFS really "scary"?

Jeroen van der Ham jeroen at je-ju.net
Thu Feb 7 01:27:57 PST 2008

Heh, I tried running a case-sensitive file system for a while, and with
Leopard I took the opportunity to switch back. It's a hellish experience
if you expect things to "just work".

The problem is really that applications break spectacularly when they
run into such an issue, and the only way to figure it out is by tracing
them.

Scott C. Kennedy wrote:
> PS> Anyone else find any issues with Applications or Games?

To put things into perspective: the first version of Google Earth even
refused to install on a case-sensitive system. It was fixed in a later
revision though.

I helped the developer of Keyclick fix a problem he had with case
sensitive stuff.

And the Full Tilt Poker client (afaik the only real mac poker client)
has some issues with referencing graphics on a case sensitive
filesystem. The first time I tried you couldn't even see your cards. I
reported the issue, but I'm not sure how far they went in fixing it.

Jeroen.