Re; Unix Newbie

Peter Hindrichs pth at ispnet.ca
Mon Feb 11 15:58:22 PST 2008

Thanks to all for your advise. What I did for now, (until I get some
better understanding of Unix) is I followed Ryan Schmidts advise, and
used
$ touch ~/.profile && open -e ~/.profile. That worked out just fine,
Do I understand what I did not really, but with time I hope to have a
better understanding of what I am doing. I now have a working "port"
system. I did the selfupdate, my system in now up to date.
One question if I now look at "env" this is what I get.

Freedom:~ peterhin$ env
MANPATH=/usr/share/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/X11/man
TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal
TERM=xterm-color
SHELL=/bin/bash
TMPDIR=/var/folders/Sd/SdnvDsNAHdqx7M41XmVmb++++TI/-Tmp-/
Apple_PubSub_Socket_Render=/tmp/launch-OeUcxx/Render
TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=237
USER=peterhin
COMMAND_MODE=unix2003
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/launch-FkaAJd/Listeners
__CF_USER_TEXT_ENCODING=0x1F5:0:0
PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/
local/bin:/usr/X11/bin
PWD=/Users/peterhin
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
SHLVL=1
HOME=/Users/peterhin
LOGNAME=peterhin
DISPLAY=/tmp/launch-VZvhsj/:0
SECURITYSESSIONID=b0f090
_=/usr/bin/env

Do I need to do anything with  MANPATH, as mine does not resemble the
example at all.
Also my PATH seems to have extra text do leave this alone, or must I
remove it.?

Thanks.
Peter