Standardizing a MacPorts system

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Thu Jan 3 20:36:35 PST 2008

The use of the hostname for MySQL's error log is coded into mysql
itself:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/error-log.html

Even if you had <original_host>.err left over on the other "cloned"
hosts, it shouldnt be a problem, since a <new_host>.err will be made
and used.  And that same link shows the line to put in etc/my.cnf to
make it standard anyway.

FWIW, Mac OS Forge uses 1 installation of MacPorts for many XServes,
and we dont have problems. I'd really be interested to know which
ports are hostname-dependent.

-Bill