sudo port install zsh

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jan 5 15:47:16 PST 2008

On Jan 5, 2008, at 17:09, Charlse Darwin wrote:

> $ sudo port install zsh
> Password:
> --->  Fetching zsh
> --->  Attempting to fetch zsh-4.2.6.tar.bz2 from http://www.zsh.org/
> pub/
> --->  Attempting to fetch zsh-4.2.6.tar.bz2 from ftp://ftp.zsh.org/
> zsh/
> --->  Attempting to fetch zsh-4.2.6.tar.bz2 from ftp://
> ftp.sterling.com/zsh/
> --->  Attempting to fetch zsh-4.2.6.tar.bz2 from ftp://ftp.fu-
> berlin.de/pub/unix/shells/zsh/
> --->  Attempting to fetch zsh-4.2.6.tar.bz2 from ftp://
> ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/misc/zsh/
> --->  Attempting to fetch zsh-4.2.6.tar.bz2 from ftp://
> ftp.icm.edu.pl/vol/wojsyl/zsh/
> --->  Attempting to fetch zsh-4.2.6.tar.bz2 from http://
> svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/zsh
> --->  Attempting to fetch zsh-4.2.6.tar.bz2 from http://
> svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
> --->  Attempting to fetch zsh-4.2.6.tar.bz2 from http://
> svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/zsh
> Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: fetch failed
> $

$ dig www.zsh.org

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> www.zsh.org
;; global options:  printcmd
$

It appears that none of zsh.org's nameservers are reachable, thus
www.zsh.org and ftp.zsh.org are unavailable. I have reported this to
zefram at fysh.org, listed as the registrant of the zsh.org domain name.

Attempting to contact ftp.sterling.com, I get a network timeout.
Perhaps that mirror should be removed from the list.

I can connect to ftp.fu-berlin.de but it only has versions 4.2.7 and
4.3.4. Maybe the zsh port should be updated.

ftp.iij.ad.jp does have 4.2.6 and 4.3.2, but the first time I tried
to connect it rejected me because it had reached its maximum of 10
connected users. Maybe that happened to you too. Maybe if you try
again it'll work.

The directory /vol/wojsyl/zsh/ does not seem to exist on
ftp.icm.edu.pl so that mirror should be removed from the list too.

I'm Cc'ing the maintainer of zsh on this email so he can take care of
these issues. In the future, please file a ticket in our issue
tracker when you discover something that doesn't work, and assign it
to the maintainer of the port in question.