View of non maintained packages

Rolf Würdemann rowue at digitalis.org
Mon Jan 14 01:23:00 PST 2008

Am 14.01.2008 um 08:57 schrieb Ryan Schmidt:

> On Jan 13, 2008, at 17:37, Rolf Würdemann wrote:

>>> [Port Categories]
>>
>> Maybe an commit-group would be an idea ;) (something like the
>> support-group
>> at our office ;)
>
> Do you mean a group of people who do nothing but commit things that
> others submit? If we have people who are interested in performing
> that function, then sure.

Not but nothing (o.k. that's different to support parts at office) -
but beeing responsible ;)
but I think your approach below is the better one ;)

> But we don't want everything that's submitted into Trac just
> blindly committed into Subversion. We need the committer to be
> aware of the changes that are being made, to police the changes in
> a way. Don't commit patches that do multiple things; break it into
> separate patches or ask the contributor to do so. Don't commit
> patches that make whitespace changes to the entire portfile in
> addition to functional changes. Don't commit patches that obviously
> revert a previous revision without the contributor explaining why.
> Don't commit patches that use inadvisable practices without first
> discussing these with the contributor. And so forth. In order to
> know these things, it helps if such a committer is also an
> accomplished port maintainer/author.

Definitive.

(And perhaps we should state this better in the documentation -
otherwise one guy
can set up an update for bugfix or new version, read the
documentation, tidy up,
submit and get the message "hey! you better break this in a few steps ;)

(I've just made an update to gwyddion and tidy the portfile in one
step ;)

> I think what we need are committers who are interested in each
> category of software. I occasionally look through the unassigned
> tickets and either try to handle them (new ports, or patches for
> unmaintained ports) or assign them to their ports' maintainers. But
> some tickets I don't deal with, like most tickets for Python
> modules or most Gnome tickets, because I don't use or sufficiently
> understand Python and Gnome. We need committers who are interested
> in and proficient in Python and Gnome (and maybe some other
> categories) who will deal with those tickets.

*g* - o.k. - thats the better approach (having people which where
insterested in each category of software
and feel responsible ;)

But a problem will be a bug fix that's in the ticket (and the fixing
one (maintainer or other person)
have no possibillity to change the status - than we have to look
throught all tickets complete or
the fixing one must open a new ticket (which is perhaps stated in the
documentation ;)

reg's

	Rolf

--
			               Security is an illusion - Datasecurity twice
   Rolf Würdemann    -   private: rowue at digitalis.org   -   office:
rowue at crew-gmbh.de
   GnuPG fingerprint:          7383 348F 67D1 CD27 C90F DDD0 86A3
31B6 67F0 D02F
   jabber: rowue at digitalis.org 2F66A061 89BCA1A0 AD654827 6FD037FF
53C3E932