newbie help wanted with installing/using netpbm through macports

Matt mattness at mac.com
Mon Jan 14 12:54:07 PST 2008

I did a little c++ coding in college but that was 10 years ago, so I
apologize if I am missing something obvious.

I am trying to compile an intel mac compatible version of an open source
printer driver so I can use my old but beloved Alps printer on my new
intel
imac.  The source for the driver is here:

http://openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=ppmtomd&fromprinter=Alps-MD-1000

I downloaded the source for the driver and tried to perform a make on
it in
the terminal.  The string of errors showed me that it was missing the
pgm.h
and ppm.h header files.  Searching for these files online I found that
they
belong to the netpbm library.  It seemed like the easiest way to install
netpbm and any dependant libraries was through macports.

I succesfully downloaded, installed, and updated macports, then told
it to
install netpbm.  I got no errors and everything looked good.
Unfortunately,
the source for the ppmtomd driver still can't find those header files
(though I can through spotlight).

When I check to see what ports I have installed I get the following
output:

iMatt:~ mwoods$ port installed
  jasper @1.701.0_0 (active)
  jpeg @6b_2 (active)
  libpng @1.2.24_0 (active)
  netpbm @10.26.48_0 (active)
  tiff @3.8.2_1+macosx (active)
  zlib @1.2.3_1 (active)
iMatt:~ mwoods$

if they were installed properly though, I would think I could use the
"which" command on them.  Unfortunately, the only port that responds to
"which" is jasper which I assume is a dependent library that was
installed
with netpbm.

iMatt:~ mwoods$ which netpbm
iMatt:~ mwoods$ which jasper
/opt/local/bin/jasper

I suspect either netpbm is not installed properly, or I have to do
something
to the makefile of the printer driver to get it to find those
libraries, but
I haven't been able to figure it out.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!