Do macports and fink conflict

Alistair Gallworthy alistairgallworthy at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 16 05:39:24 PST 2008

Hello,

Is it possible to install both MacPorts and fink and run them
side-by-side without conflict?

For instance, I know that both systems install their own dependent
utilities (like say python) and that both systems put those utilities in
the PATH. That sounds like a recipe for conflict. Unless macports
packages (for instance) religiously use absolute paths to refer to other
macports packages they depend on, then I'd guess they would
unintentionally call fink packages on occasion.

I would like to transition to macports but I depend on so many fink
packages right now it would be destabilizing to jump all at once.

Thanks,
Alistair
--
  Alistair Gallworthy