howto specify configure options

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 16 11:48:54 PST 2008

    Artie> Sorry if I missed this in the FAQ...Is there a simply way to
    Artie> specify more options to the gnu configure stage? I want to inform
    Artie> the configure program that some libs exists at a path such as
    Artie> "/usr/local/include" and "/usr/local/lib". Thank you! -az

I think with most/all apps that use configure you can just set the LDFLAGS
environment variable appropriately.  For example, Python's configure --help
output includes this near the end:

  Some influential environment variables:
    CC          C compiler command
    CFLAGS      C compiler flags
    LDFLAGS     linker flags, e.g. -L<lib dir> if you have libraries in a
                nonstandard directory <lib dir>
    LIBS        libraries to pass to the linker, e.g. -l<library>
    CPPFLAGS    C/C++/Objective C preprocessor flags, e.g. -I<include dir> if
                you have headers in a nonstandard directory <include dir>
    CPP         C preprocessor

That said, I have no idea if the port command intercepts those settings in
some way.

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/

The major difference between Democrats and Republicans is that
Republicans don't know that Randy Newman's lyrics are full of sarcasm.