Finding dependencies

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jan 16 16:48:49 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 17:33, Michael Franz wrote:

>> I wrote a PHP script which works with Graphviz to create a graph of
>> recursive dependencies of a port. For example, here's what it does
>> with the gimp2 port:
>>
>> http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/gimp.png
>

> This is an impressive picture!  Gimp has a lot of dependencies!
>
>> I haven't made it available anywhere yet, but I can send it to you if
>> you like. Or if you tell me which port you're trying to install, I'll
>> show you its dependency graph.
>
> If you could send it to me I would appreciate it.  The project that
> I am working on does not exist yet.

I may as well make it available to everyone now:

http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/portviz.tar.bz2

To use this, you need a web server with support for PHP. I use PHP 5;
not sure if PHP 4 would work. You also need Graphviz. You can specify
at the top of graph.php where your Graphviz executably is stored.
Note that it doesn't work with the MacPorts graphviz port right now;
some pango error... It does work with my Graphviz 2.14.1 binaries
which are available here:

http://www.ryandesign.com/graphviz/

It also works with the older Pixelglow version of Graphviz:

http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/

Note that portviz doesn't cache any information right now, and the
port command takes time to return information, so it can take several
seconds or even a minute or longer for large graphs to be shown.