Finding dependencies

Charles Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 16 17:00:41 PST 2008

On Jan 16, 2008, at 3:33 PM, Michael Franz wrote:

> Ryan,
>
> I wrote a PHP script which works with Graphviz to create a graph of
> recursive dependencies of a port. For example, here's what it does
> with the gimp2 port:
>
> http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/gimp.png
>
> This is an impressive picture!  Gimp has a lot of dependencies!
>
> I haven't made it available anywhere yet, but I can send it to you if
> you like. Or if you tell me which port you're trying to install, I'll
> show you its dependency graph.
>

> If you could send it to me I would appreciate it.  The project that
> I am working on does not exist yet.

Hint: after installing Graphviz, do "man dot".   The syntax for
describing a graph is ridiculously simple.  There are examples on the
man page.

"port deps <portname>" will get you a list of what's required to build
<portname>.

And if you've already built and installed <portname>, you can use
"otool -L </path/to/portname>" to see what shared libraries it is
using (and what directories it expects to find them in.)

A while ago I had a shell script (bash, not PHP) that built a
dependency graph for every Macport on my system.  If you think the
graph for the Gimp is immense...!