Bug with multiple port: dependencies in depends_lib ?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jul 7 16:44:46 PDT 2008

On Jul 7, 2008, at 16:40, Rainer Müller wrote:

>>> Yes but no work has been done on this thus far so it can happen
>>> after MacPorts 1.7.0 is released.
>
> What is the important difference between the two? I can only think of
> the autoconf paths (/usr/bin/svn and /usr/bin/xar are included in
> Leopard, but not in Tiger).

When built on Leopard, MacPorts sets the x11prefix to /usr/X11. When
built on Tiger, it sets it to /usr/X11R6. /usr/X11R6 would still work
on Leopard because Leopard has a symlink at /usr/X11R6 pointing to /
usr/X11.

When built on Leopard, MacPorts uses the MacOSX10.5.sdk. When built
on Tiger, it uses the MacOSX10.4u.sdk.

I assume installing the MacPorts port without the +universal variant
is possible, and that this would give you a non-universal MacPorts.

I would want the MacPorts port to enforce always installing
universal, and also to use the MacOSX10.3.9.sdk for PowerPC and
MacOSX10.4u.sdk for Intel. configure, build, install four times (for
ppc, i386, ppc64 and x86_64), lipo everything together. We can use
the merge() function that has been committed to trunk to help with
this. See also the universal variants in openssl and cairo for ideas.

>>> I see in the GSoC wiki page that there is a desire to replace the
>>> selfupdate mechanism with using the MacPorts port to update the
>>> MacPorts installation. This means we should concentrate our efforts
>>> on the MacPorts port for making sure a truly universal MacPorts is
>>> built.
>
> The target of the GSoC project idea was to remove 'port selfupdate'
> and
> make updates to MacPorts base by 'port upgrade MacPorts'.

We keep "sudo port selfupdate" as a synonym for "sudo port upgrade
MacPorts", I assume?

>> Right, it would be good to get to the point where 'port dmg MacPorts'
>> was sufficient to generate the dmg we put on the website.
>
> Eh, I thought this is exactly the way the dmgs for the website are
> generated? At least this is what base/portmgr/ReleaseProcess says, and
> the dmgs have the "Created with MacPorts" logo.

I thought so too.