strange problem with `gv' install under Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 17 16:35:00 PDT 2008

Hi Joerg,

On Jul 17, 2008, at 11:49, Joerg van den Hoff wrote:

> I'm currently in the process of a complete new install of macports
> on a power book g4 running leopard 10.5.3. so not much yet to mess
> things up...
>
> up to now I (admittedly erratically) installed in this order
>
> Macports (from the corresponding .dmg)
>
> and the packages:
>
> ncftp
> lua
> gv
>
> the first two went just fine. the third (`gv') aborted in the first
> try
> due to a failed fetch:
>
> --->  Attempting to fetch fontconfig-2.6.0.tar.gz from http://
> fontconfig.org/release/
>
> --->  Attempting to fetch fontconfig-2.6.0.tar.gz from http://
> svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/fontconfig
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
> Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
> Left  Speed
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
> --:--:--     0
> --->  Attempting to fetch fontconfig-2.6.0.tar.gz from http://
> svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
> Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
> Left  Speed
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
> --:--:--     0
> --->  Attempting to fetch fontconfig-2.6.0.tar.gz from http://
> svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/fontconfig
>   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time
> Time  Current
>                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent
> Left  Speed
>   0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:--
> --:--:--     0
> Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: fetch failed
>
> when later simply doing a second
>
> port install gv
>
> (after first doing `port uninstall gv; port clean --all gv')
>
> it ran through (fetching the above suceeded now) apparently without
> problems..

So it looks like there was a temporary problem with the fontconfig
web site which resolved itself by the time you tried the second time.

FYI: There was no need to attempt to uninstall or clean gv; MacPorts
had not yet begun to do anything with gv as it was still concerned
with fontconfig. (gv depends on ghostscript which depends on
fontconfig).

> PROBLEM: the resulting "executable" `gv' in /opt/local/bin is a
> copy of the config
> file /opt/local/lib/gv/GV....
>
> question: my fault or a bug?

/opt/local/lib/gv/GV is not a config file.
It *is* the gv binary.
The makefile includes a step that deliberately copies this file to /
opt/local/bin/gv.

> thanks,
>
> joerg
>

> PS: the complete log of the second `port install gv' comes here:

I looked at the difference between your log and what I got installing
gv on my Power Mac G4 with Leopard. Pretty similar except mine has
this line which yours doesn't:

creating GV

Curious that yours does not have this line; this is the step that
copies the file from /opt/local/lib/gv/GV to /opt/local/bin/gv.

Are /opt/local/bin/gv and /opt/local/lib/gv/GV text files or binary
files? If text, what's in them? If binary, what happens when you try
to run gv?