setting environment variables

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Jul 30 16:22:07 PDT 2008

On Jul 30, 2008, at 06:25, Michael Thon wrote:

> The port of the ncbi_tools package would really benefit from having a
> couple of environment variables set for users at install time.  When I
> took over the package I asked if there was a way for a Portfile to do
> this and the answer (at that time) was no.  Maybe something has
> changed since?

It's still no, but for wine and mapm3, I installed a wrapper script
to set needed environment variables. Check it out. I recommend the
mechanism used by mapm3; I'll change the wine port's method to use
mapm3's method soon. (Put the real binary in ${prefix}/lib/${name}/;
put the wrapper in ${prefix}/bin/ and write it to cd to ${prefix}/lib/
${name}/ and run the real program with the same arguments.)

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/38699