Valid platform variant string in libtheora port file?

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 18:02:38 PDT 2008

Hello All --

I have recently written a script that parses numerous MacPorts and their
dependencies and variants information (in my collection of ports I use about
455 total). Of the total, I found one part, the libtheora port (version
1.0beta2), that produces an platform variant name of "darwin_9_i386", when
queried with the port command-line program, specifically:

$ port variants libtheora
libtheora has the variants:
    universal
    doc: Install extra documentation
*    darwin_9_i386*

With all other ports I only see either "darwin_9" or "darwin_i386" or
"macosx" as specific strings representing platform variants, but haven't
seen and string combination akin to the libtheora port's creative
combination of "darwin_9_i386".

According to the MacPorts documentation, it does not appear that combining
darwin_9 and darwin_i386 into one string is legal:

http://guide.macports.org/#reference.variants.platform

Platform variants are either defined by default in MacPorts base, or defined
by a port author to customize a port's installation according to OS
(operating system) or hardware platform.

platform [os_platform] [hw_platform] [version] [arch]

However, looking inside the libtheora Portfile, I find:

*platform darwin 9 i386* {
    # http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13033
    configure.args-append   --disable-asm
}

If anyone could shed some additional light on my observation, with regard
whether to the legitamacy of this port variant, that would be quite
appreciated.

Thanks,

T.M.