Request process for ports

Mike Savory msavory1 at nzbox.com
Sun Jun 8 13:20:45 PDT 2008

Hi Joe

from the web pages you linked to

bwctl, compiles cleanly on OS X and require Iperf2 (which is already a
port, should provide a good example)

owamp and thrulay seem like they would build on OS X

mturoute is a windows program, Check out the existing port hping3 or
maybe scamper will meet your needs
> scamper can do ICMP-based Path MTU discovery. scamper starts with
> the outgoing interface's MTU and discovers the location of Path MTU
> bottlenecks. Recent revision of scamper do a PMTUD search when an
> ICMP fragmentation required message is not returned to establish the
> PMTU to the next point in the network, followed by a TTL limited
> search to infer the where failure appears to occur. http://www.wand.net.nz/scamper/

pathdiag seems to be specific to some variant of a Linux kernet and is
unlikely to work on OS X
 >  This will require a test host with a web100 kernel and other
supporting software, and will be
 >  covered under a future document on advanced pathdiag techniques.

dhcptool has not been updated since 2002 and seem specific for
embedded Linux applications.

openlldp claims OS X support in the latest build

A "port" in the MacPorts terminology is just a recipe for building an
application and its dependancies. Writing a "port" for MacPorts is
reasonably simple if the application is well behaved and can be
compiled with prefix= support out of the box.  Taking an application
from another platform and "porting" it to OS X is usually outside the
scope of the MacPorts project and is better taken up with the project
concerned and asking them to support OS X.

I am actually interested in openlldp but on trying it it fails the ./
configure; make.

Regards

Mike