installing ntop

James Medley jmedley at aesrg.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 25 06:34:14 PDT 2008

I am trying to install ntop on an iMac 20" Intel (2.16 GHz Intel Core
2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM) running OS X 10.5.3. I am following
directions from <http://homepage.mac.com/duling/halfdozen/ntop-Howto.html
 >. I give the command "sudo port install ntop +server" in Terminal
and after installing several packages, I eventually get this error
with rrdtool. Unfortunately, I'm not command line savvy enough to
figure out where to go and what to do. Could somebody please put this
in simpler terms. Thanks Much, Jim

--->  Configuring rrdtool
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: configure failure:
shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_net_rrdtool/work/rrdtool-1.3.0" && ./
configure --prefix=/opt/local --prefix=/opt/local --enable-perl-site-
install --with-tcllib=/opt/local/lib --disable-python --disable-ruby --
disable-tcl --mandir=/opt/local/share/man " returned error 1
Command output:   You may want to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to
point to its
   location.

configure: WARNING:
* I could not find a working copy of pangocairo. Check config.log for
hints on why
   this is the case. Maybe you need to set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS
appropriately
   so that compiler and the linker can find libpango-1.0 and its
header files. If
   you have not installed pangocairo, you can get it either from its
original home on

      http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/pango/1.17

   You can find also find an archive copy on

      http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/libs

   The last tested version of pangocairo is 1.17.

        LIBS=-lcairo -lcairo -lcairo  -lcairo -lSM -lICE -lfontconfig -
lexpat -lfreetype -lz -lpng12 -lXrender -lX11 -lpixman-1
    LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/local/lib -L/usr/X11/lib   -R/usr/
X11/lib -Wl,-framework,CoreServices -Wl,-framework,ApplicationServices
   CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/freetype2  -I/
opt/local/include/libpng -D_THREAD_SAFE -DXTHREADS -I/opt/local/
include/cairo -I/opt/local/include/libpng12 -I/opt/local/include/
freetype2 -I/opt/local/include -I/usr/X11/include -I/opt/local/include/
pixman-1

checking for xmlParseFile in -lxml2... yes
checking libxml/parser.h usability... yes
checking libxml/parser.h presence... yes
checking for libxml/parser.h... yes
configure: error: Please fix the library issues listed above and try
again.

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: rrdtool