General Leopard Installation Recommendations - with Admin? Postgres, Postgis...

Stefan Schwarzer stefan.schwarzer at grid.unep.ch
Mon Mar 3 01:42:43 PST 2008

Hi there,

I am using a Mac in the office for website development, database
administration, design etc...

Now, as I am not coming from an admin-, but more from a casual-user-
side, I did run into some admin/su/etc.-problems or challenges when
installing & compiling postgres, postgis, etc.

So, I was wondering what you guys do recommend. In the moment, I am
the only user and the only admin on the same time on the mac. But,
from a admin/security perspective, there should be already a different
account for me as a user and another one for the admin, no?

And on the next step, there should be another one for the postgres
administration, no?

Can you give me a recommendation how to "better" (more efficient, more
correct, not necessarily more "safe") setup my computer?

Thanks for any advice,

Stef

   Lean Back and Relax - Enjoy some Nature Photography
   http://photoblog.la-famille-schwarzer.de

   Appetite for Global Data? UNEP GEO Data Portal:
   http://geodata.grid.unep.ch