odd port list installed output

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Mar 6 06:56:21 PST 2008

    >> ... I noticed that I seem to have two copies of several ports
    >> installed.  It looks like fftw-3, oss-uuid, python24 and python25 are
    >> all installed twice:

    James> You'll get more joy, I believe, from:

    James>      port installed

Thanks for that.  There seem to be way too many similar commands for my
feeble brain to keep straight.

    James> In either case, you're seeing multiple entries for some ports
    James> because you have installed, but inactive, versions of those
    James> ports.

Ah, I see.  I missed that the version numbers were slightly different.
Consider this:

    % port installed | egrep python
      python24 @2.4.4_2+darwin_9
      python24 @2.4.4_4+darwin_9 (active)
      python25 @2.5.2_0+darwin_9
      python25 @2.5.2_1+darwin_9 (active)

One would think I should be able to uninstall the inactive ports, but I
can't:

    % sudo port uninstall python25 at 2.5.2_0+darwin_9
    --->  Unable to uninstall python25 2.5.2_0+darwin_9, the following ports depend on it:
    --->        py25-tz
    --->        py25-dateutil
    --->        py25-hashlib
    --->        py25-tkinter
    Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend on python25 first.

It doesn't appear that the port command is smart enough to realize that the
active version of the python25 port should be able to satisfy the stated
dependencies.

Skip