Install successful now trying to install ntop

Alex Zavatone zavpublic at mac.com
Tue Mar 11 13:48:49 PDT 2008

Thanks to Adrian's help, I was able to complete the install of MacPorts.

My goal in installing MacPorts was to get a ntop installed.  Checking
for installation instructions for ntop on macports.org wasn't helpful
at all; I couldn't find any instructions.  Luckily, back at the old
darwinports.org there is a url for ntop, http://ntop/darwinports.org
that actually contains installation instructions:

cd /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/ntop
% sudo port install ntop

One problem here is that if /portslocation/dports/ntop doesn't exist,
then you must create it, cd to it and then sudo.  Even thou the
instructions are clear, they should mention this to save newbies like
me.

Once the directories are created, sudo port install ntop works
wonderfully, installing all sorts files - that is until it gets to
libcap.  Libcap can't be found in any of the following locations:
---> Fetching libpcap
---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from http://www.tcpdump.org/release/
---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/libpcap
---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/libpcap
---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/libpcap
---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/general/
---> Attempting to fetch libpcap-0.9.8.tar.gz from http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/downloads/libpcap
Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned: fetch failed

Since I it appears that libcap is required to build and install ntop,
what should I do from here?

Thanks in advance,
- Alex Zavatone