teTeX fails with probably unquoted path name containing spaces

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Thu May 1 21:24:03 PDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 9:16 PM, Jerry wrote:

> On May 1, 2008, at 6:32 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> That went OK.
>>>
>>> This terminated with my "standard error"--a reference to non-
>>> existing directories possibly caused by spaces in the path name.
>>> Just for completeness, here it is again:
>>>

>>> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -o xdvi-xaw.bin browser.o dvi-draw.o dvi-init.o
>>> dvisel.o encodings.o events.o filehist.o font-open.o gf.o
>>> hypertex.o image-magick.o mime.o my-snprintf.o my-vsnprintf.o
>>> pagehist.o pk.o print-internal.o psdps.o psgs.o psheader.o
>>> psnews.o read-mapfile.o search-internal.o special.o string-
>>> utils.o tfmload.o util.o vf.o xdvi.o xserver-info.o x_util.o
>>> before Dec 12, 2007/lib  -L/opt/local/lib ./gui/libgui.a ../../
>>> libs/t1lib/libt1.a ../../libs/t1lib/../type1/libtype1.a -L/usr/
>>> local/ada-4.3 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXp -
>>> lXext -lXpm -lX11 -liconv ../kpathsea/.libs/libkpathsea.a -lm
>>> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: before: No such file or directory
>>> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Dec: No such file or directory
>>> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 12,: No such file or directory
>>> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 2007/lib: No such file or directory
>>> make[2]: *** [xdvi-xaw.bin] Error 1
>>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
>>> make: *** [all] Error 1
>>>
>>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: texlive_base
>>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>>
>> You could try searching every file in /opt/local to see which ones
>> contain the string "before Dec 12, 2007"
>
> Sorry for the confusion. I explained in one of my earlier posts
> that the string "before Dec 12, 2007" was the name of a directory
> in /usr/local which I subsequently deleted upon encountering the
> current problem. The directory was called either "before Dec 12,
> 2007" or most likely "ada-4.3 before Dec 12, 2007" which contained
> most of the gcc compilers including Ada 4.3. I had apparently
> renamed the folder before doing a fresh installation of the
> compilers, probably on that date, then forgot to trash it when
> things were going well. I don't know how macports found it; also,
> there were two other Ada compilers in the /usr/local, called
> ada-4.2 and ada-4.3, the latter being on my PATH variable (but not
> the one with "before Dec 12, 2007" in it).

In case it's important, my PATH is
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/local/ada-4.3/bin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/
bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/Applications
Jerry