GTK+ broken: anyone knows why?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon May 5 20:36:08 PDT 2008

On May 5, 2008, at 09:24, Shreevatsa R wrote:

> The GTK+ port (gtk2) is broken in multiple ways:
>
> 1. Did anything change in the base recently? It used to be that
> variants chosen are passed on to dependencies as well, but it appears
> that now `port install gtk2 +quartz` and `port install gtk2 +quartz
> +no_x11` do different things, although the port gtk2 has "variant
> quartz requires no_x11 ..." in it. That is, `port install gtk2
> +quartz` installs the X11 version of pango, etc., instead of pango
> +no_x11. Same with cairo.

I don't know if something changed in base with regard to this. If
this worked before, can you do some regression testing to see what
revision of base broke it?

> 2. After installing (`port install gtk2 +quartz +no_x11`) and
> installing any GTK+ application on top of it, all windows display only
> boxes; fonts don't work. This might be related to the recent changes
> in cairo, or pango, or something.

I believe I've had some other reports of this but I don't know how to
fix it. I started a dialog with the developers of pango but I seem to
have forgotten to follow up. I'm still not sure if this is a pango
problem or a cairo problem.