ASSP out of date

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Nov 5 19:08:17 PST 2008

David, I forgot "reply-all" on this mailing list, so ignore my direct
communication email please, this was meant for the list, thanks.

On Nov 5, 2008, at 4:04 PM, David Evans wrote:

> Scott Haneda wrote:
>> This port installs clean, and really nice:
>> http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/mail/assp/Portfile
>>
>> however, I can not locate a maintainer, as it is woefully out of
>> date.
>> name                    assp
>> version                 1.1.0
>>
>> ASSP 1.3.3.10 is current, and also, there is a very strong beta of
>> 2.x
>> as well I would love to see in the ports system.  What is the best
>> way
>> to find the maintainer, and see about getting this updated.
>> --
>> Scott
>>
> Since the maintainer is "nomaintainer" then maintainership is up for
> grabs.  So you can become the
> maintainer if you like.  Just update the Portfile as necessary with
> yourself as maintainer
> and also openmaintainer if you are willing to let others make
> changes to
> the port.  Then
> create a ticket on Trac and attach your changes, preferably as a patch
> to the current Portfile.
>
> See http://guide.macports.org/  for procedural details.

This is my first effort to make a port update file locally on my
machine, so be gentle :)

sudo port clean --work assp
Password:
--->  Cleaning assp

I located this path:
/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/mail/
assp/
it would be nice to know how to locate that path with a command.

Made a copy:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  4686 Nov  5 18:34 Portfile
-rw-r--r--  1 root  admin  4686 Nov  5 16:52 Portfile.orig

Original located here: http://pastebin.com/m7a3fb1d6

sudo port edit assp
Changed -> version                 1.4.3.0
Changed -> maintainers             scott at newgeo.com
Added   -> distname                ASSP_${version}-Install

pre-patch seems to run around and look for two files, to rename
file rename "${worksrcpath}/ASSP Documentation.htm" ${worksrcpath}/
ASSPDocumentation.htm
file rename "${worksrcpath}/Regular Expression Tutorial.htm" $
{worksrcpath}/RegularExpressionutorial.htm

Neither of them exist, and even if they did, they would have moved to
the docs/ directory.  Either way, I am not sure what was bad about
spaces in the files anyway, they are html files, and most browsers can
deal with that.

I simply removed those two lines.

Removed -> patchfiles              patch-assp.pl.diff
Here is where my lack of experience comes on, I have no idea if the
patch is needed, so at this point, I am commenting it out and just
trying to get it to build. I know it will build clean on a Intel
machine, so I would imagine, this patch is no longer needed with so
many versions passing.

Save the file, and run:
sudo port install assp
* Error on checksum, after a bit of poking, I see there is:
sudo port -d checksum assp
Portfile checksum: ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install.zip md5
55be31bab3efacc6bd964adf8cd25c83
Distfile checksum: ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install.zip md5
e7fa4bfbed0e7cb7d430d1ebcd4b6eb1

Updated -> checksums               md5 e7fa4bfbed0e7cb7d430d1ebcd4b6eb1

( Also at http://pastebin.com/m5c6dab26 )
sudo port -d install assp
DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/mail/assp
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/ports/mail/assp
DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by port assp.
DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port assp.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port assp.
DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/lang/perl5.8
DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
rsync.macports.org/release/ports/lang/perl5.8
DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by port perl5.8.
DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port perl5.8.
DEBUG: Executing variant darwin provides darwin
DEBUG: Executing variant darwin_9 provides darwin_9
DEBUG: Searching for dependency: perl5.8
DEBUG: Found Dependency: receipt exists for perl5.8
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.main (assp)
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.fetch (assp)
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.checksum (assp)
DEBUG: setting option extract.cmd to /usr/bin/unzip
DEBUG: setting option extract.pre_args to -q
DEBUG: setting option extract.post_args to {-d /opt/local/var/macports/
build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_mail_assp/work/ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install}
DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.extract (assp)
DEBUG: Executing proc-pre-org.macports.patch-patch-0
Error: Target org.macports.patch returned: no files matched glob
patterns "*.pl *.sh *.htm *.txt rc/*.dat"
Warning: the following items did not execute (for assp):
org.macports.activate org.macports.patch org.macports.configure
org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.install

And now, we get stuck when the portfile tries to glob through the
source files, I suspect because {worksrcpath} is somehow wrong. It
looks to me like this is the path that it is calling {workssrcpath}
/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_mail_assp/work/ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install

*What is it doing anyway, just fixing line endings?  Is that really
needed?

However, in that path is another directory of "ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install",
so it is this:
.../
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_mail_assp/work/ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install/
ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install
But then, even in that path, there is one last /ASSP directory as
well, so the full path to the source files is really:
/opt/local/var/macports/build/\
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync
.macports.org_release_ports_mail_assp/\
work/ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install/ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install/ASSP

I would wager, this is because the developer has changed his layout,
if I download, and unzip, I show a path to source of:
ASSP_1.4.3.0-Install/ASSP

* How do I debug and print out the {worksrcpath} so I can see what it
is, and what is it that sets that path as well?

Looking at configure:
configure {
        reinplace "s%^#!.*perl%#![binaryInPath perl]%" \
                ${worksrcpath}/assp.pl \
                ${worksrcpath}/move2num.pl \
                ${worksrcpath}/rebuildspamdb.pl \
                ${worksrcpath}/repair.pl \
                ${worksrcpath}/stat.pl
        reinplace "s%/usr/local/assp%${assp_base}%" \
                ${worksrcpath}/ASSPDocumentation.htm \
                ${worksrcpath}/stats.sh \
                ${worksrcpath}/assp.pl \
                ${worksrcpath}/rc/assp.dat \
                ${worksrcpath}/rc/start.dat \
                ${worksrcpath}/rc/stop.dat
        reinplace "s%/usr/local%${prefix}%" \
                ${worksrcpath}/ASSPDocumentation.htm
}

I can see, I am pretty sure I need to delete the 2
"ASSPDocumentation.htm" lines, is this correct?

I am not sure what this does:
reinplace "s%^#!.*perl%#![binaryInPath perl]%"

And as you can see, given the above mentioned {worksrcpath} configure
is never going to find those files.  As a first effort, I tried
commenting out:
#extract.dir            ${worksrcpath}
After than, I ran clean, then install...
http://pastebin.com/m2053b159

I think it is there, line 35, we sort of run into the same thing,
which is there is this "ASSP" directory path that is missing, and I do
not know how to add it in, without hard coding it, which if course,
would make this too hard to make an updated port file again in the
future if the developer moves stuff around.

Hopefully I have troubleshot this as best as I can, I am stuck at this
point, with this being my first attempt to make a port update file.
Any help is appreciated.

--
Scott