ASSP out of date

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 5 21:38:50 PST 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 23:33, Scott Haneda wrote:

> On Nov 5, 2008, at 8:05 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 07:08:17PM -0800, Scott Haneda said:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> This is my first effort to make a port update file locally on my
>>> machine,
>>> so be gentle :)
>>
>> For a first Portfile, this is a bad choice, it does nearly all steps
>> manually (configure, no build, and destroot are all there in the
>> Portfile).
>

> I think you are right, I should start from scratch.  A few
> questions on policy of the ports:
>
> I am only going to try to maintain this works on 10.4 and 10.5,
> with a heavy lean on 10.5, I just do not have the ability to test
> pre 10.4, and even 10.4 is going to be hit or miss.  Is this OK, or
> must I go back further?

That's fine. MacPorts officially supports 10.4 and 10.5 at this time.
10.3 support is nice to have but certainly not essential. If someone
using 10.3 discovers the port does not work, and can supply a patch
to make it work, then you can update the port at that time with their
patch.

> Do I simply add notes to mention this, or is there a computability
> procedure?

You can do something like

platform darwin 7 {
	pre-fetch {
		return -code error "${name} requires Mac OS X 10.4 or later"
	}
}

> I will write a launchd item to start it, which gets rid of the rc
> scripts they use, what is ports policy on this.  You have to put
> the .plist outside of the ports tree, which I think may be a no
> no.  This will also perhaps, make removal more challenging.

MacPorts supports launchd plists. Unless your needs are special, just
let MacPorts do it for you. See the startupitem keywords:

http://guide.macports.org/#reference.startupitems

> What determines what is removed when a user removes a port, is
> there a file somewhere that does that as well?

Everything installed by the port into the ${destroot} is recorded,
and uninstalled when so requested.

> Please direct me to the most up to date documentation on this
> process, never done this before, but it should be interesting and
> ideally valuable to at least me :)

Documentation is at:

http://guide.macports.org/