MPlayer Port Suggestion

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Thu Nov 20 15:05:45 PST 2008

MPlayer also has a web interface to their SVN repo at <http://svn.mplayerhq.hu/mplayer/trunk/
 > which lets you do graphical diffs of various versions (I haven't
tried Cornerstone or Versions or any of the other Cocoa frontends to
subversion, but they may also provide useful graphical tools for
getting a handle on development activity).

An e-mail I sent to another interested person (Perry actually, I see)
about updating MPlayer right:

> So the main problem is that the MPlayer devs are steadfastly against
> any regular release or snapshot schedule, as well as supporting
> those releases already made.  1.0rc2 is almost a year old at this
> point, has several security alerts against it, and is also lagging
> feature-wise.
>
> The best solution I can see to this is to judiciously select a
> recent but not too recent SVN revision, do a checkout, and roll our
> own distfile to put in <http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles
> >.  We can then selectively apply changes from subversion or jump to
> a whole new snapshot on our own clock.  Finding a good revision to
> use as a starting point is the first challenge, and then updating
> the Portfile configure stage to mesh with the options of that
> snapshot is next.  If this is something you'd be interested in
> looking into that'd be great!

In addition to the SVN history, the MPlayer mailing lists from around
the time of the snapshot picked would also be good, as problems and
regressions tend to get registered there.

Thanks,
Eric