Octave port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 22 21:04:12 PST 2008

On Nov 22, 2008, at 21:42, Robert Fong-tom wrote:

> Since I ported Octave using MacPorts, I have been working through a
> number of problems, which all seem to be related to the fact that I
> had installed octave, aquaterm and gnuplot previously from dmg
> packages. I previously wrote to both the MacPort and Octave users
> group about these problems and you all have been very helpful and I
> have learned a lot from you all. I started a new e-mail because I
> recently realized that the problem may be with AquaTerm not
> GNUPLOT. I recently noticed that there are several AquaTerm.app on
> my hard drive and I don't know if this is normal. These
> AquaTerm.app files are in the following.
>
> 1) /Applications/MacPorts/AquaTerm.app (only file in this directory)
>
> 2) /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_aqua_
> aquaterm/work/dstroot/Applications/MacPorts/AquaTerm.app
>
> 3) /opt/var/macports/software/aquaterm/1.0.1_0+darwin_8/
> Applications/MacPorts/AquaTerm.app
>
> 4) /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_aqua_
> aquaterm/work/aquaterm/build/deployment/AquaTerm.app
>
> Is this normal? Are some of these related to the build of Octave?

Yes, it's normal, depending on how your MacPorts is set up. The
process is like this:

* MacPorts decompresses the AquaTerm distfile into the work directory
(/opt/local/var/macports/build/
_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_aqua_aq
uaterm/work/aquaterm)
* MacPorts builds AquaTerm (for this port, the app happens to end up
in the location you listed at #4)
* MacPorts stages the build into the destroot (your #2)
* MacPorts installs the port (into your #3)
* MacPorts activates the port by making hardlinks from the install
location (#3) to the final location (#1).

The build (#4) and destroot (#2) directories (the whole work
directory, actually) are automatically deleted by MacPorts after
installation, since they're no longer necessary, if you have
"portautoclean yes" in your ${prefix}/etc/macports/macports.conf. If
you instead have "portautoclean no", then MacPorts doesn't clean up
for you automatically, and you can clean up when you like by typing
"sudo port clean aquaterm".

The above describes what happens if you have "portinstalltype image"
in your macports.conf. This is the default and recommended mode. If
you instead have "portinstalltype direct", then MacPorts doesn't
install files to #3 and make hardlinks in #1. Instead, it installs
directly to #1.