Error Message

zachary a. z.albrecht at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 08:31:42 PDT 2008

Hi John,
It doesn't look like there are any shibboleth portfiles in the default
repositories; no cruise control for you, unfortunately. On a very positive
note, however, someone named Scott Cantor has written a thorough and
well-organized method<https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/NativeSPMacPortInstallation>for
surmounting the obstacles standing in your way. YMMV, based on your
configuration and expectations, but it seems like you should be able to make
it work.

Oh, read through the howto before attempting. There are dependencies that
need to be resolved prior to the main install, like the curl +ssl variant.
Some post install config, much of it having to do with apache.

Most installs are more straightforward than this example, especially today.
Try out some other ports; do some reading, and pretty soon you can make most
things work without nearly as much stress, confusion, and breakage. In the
meantime, don't worry too much about doing everything according to the One
True Solution/Methodology. It doesn't exist. Just best practices that can be
learned, and dealing with others who may interpret those ideas differently.
Fortunately we have this forum. Good luck.

-Z