Updated Gnucash doesn't handle preferences

David Rowe david.rowe at freeuk.com
Sun Oct 5 16:52:10 PDT 2008

I have been using Gnucash 2.2.x for a while now with few problems.

However after a recent set of updates, the new 2.2.7 is not working
properly:

On starting, Gnucash opens a message box saying:
"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for
gnucash. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly" This
box won't go away while Gnucash is running.

It also opens another  message box saying:
"Cannot find default values.
The configuration data used to specify default values for Gnucash cannot
be found in the default system locations. . . . Do you wish to set up
the configuration data?"

You can the follow a dialogue that is trying to set up configuration
data - but it doesn't work and I will get the same messages next time I
run Gnucash.

Gnucash does eventually run but you can't change any of the preferences.

I suspect that the problem is not in Gnucash itself but in the
dependencies that were also updated about a week ago. I tried
deactivating Gnucash 2.2.7 and reactivating 2.2.5 - which used to work
OK. However 2.2.5 now shows exactly the same problems.

I note the recent discussions about gnucash, aqbanking and gwenhywfar,
so for the record my current configuration for these is:

"bash-3.2# port installed aqbanking aqbanking3 gwenhywfar gwenhywfar3
gnucash
  aqbanking @2.3.3_0
  aqbanking @3.7.2_0 (active)
  aqbanking3 @3.7.1_0
  gwenhywfar @2.5.3_0
  gwenhywfar @3.4.1_0 (active)
  gwenhywfar3 @3.4.1_0
  gnucash @2.2.5_0
  gnucash @2.2.5_1
  gnucash @2.2.7_0
  gnucash @2.2.7_1
  gnucash @2.2.7_2 (active)
"

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

David Rowe