There is no release manager! There is no release manager!

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 07:00:54 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>  For the next release, I think we need version 1.7.0, not 1.6.1,
>> because there are countless new features and a year's worth of bug
>> fixes. That much work deserves more than just a bugfix version number
>> increase. That means we release from trunk, not the 1.6 branch. A
>> concern of mine is that the 1.6 branch contains some work that was
>> done only there and not on trunk. I believe some of it was done on
>> trunk in a different way, but I don't know if all changes from the
>> 1.6 branch got put in trunk. Someone needs to figure out whether it
>> was, and if not, identify what needs to be ported from 1.6 to trunk.
>> Ideally that would happen before a 1.7.0 release.
>>

> I agree entirely.  I know that some kind folks have also been tentatively
> tossing their hat in the ring for this job, and for that I think we should
> all be thankful and also willing to both encourage and help them do so in
> any way necessary, but I also agree that we haven't had a release in some
> time and the accumulated backlog of work is likely to be a little daunting
> to anyone who isn't already intimately familiar with MacPorts.
>
> Ryan.  I hate to do this to you, I really do, but given the degree to which
> you've been active in this project and the fact that you clearly know your
> way around, I don't suppose YOU would be willing to do this for at least one
> release, just to get the ball rolling again, as it were?   The quoted
> paragraph clearly demonstrates an agenda of sorts, without which any RE
> cannot truly be effective, and I think the other volunteers would find you a
> more than credible candidate for the job and be willing to follow/help you
> as necessary.  Again, I am not suggesting that you volunteer (or "be
> volunteered" :-) for anything more than this 1.7.0 release, we just need to
> break the log jam and there are very few people I can think of who have
> demonstrated your level of commitment to this project (the svn logs speak
> for themselves!).

Sounds like an excellent solution. Breaking the log jam is an excellent
summation of what's needed here and I think once people can see the
accumulated body of work that comes with the 1.7 release,  the energy level
and enthusiasm will go up a bit.

Seconded, in other words.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/