Wine will not download

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 10 00:24:00 PDT 2008

On Oct 9, 2008, at 17:02, Frank J. R. Hanstick wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2008, at 2:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Oct 9, 2008, at 15:54, "Frank J. R. Hanstick" wrote:
>>
>>>    I have a Mac G4 PowerPC with Qemu installed and I tried to
>>> download
>>> Wine; but, Wine would not download.  Is there a way to get Wine to
>>> recognize that Qemu is present and link to it?
>>
>> No, MacPorts does not use software installed outside of MacPorts.
>> I wrote the wine ports to abort unless installed on Intel. If
>> there is a Qemu port that works with wine I can remove that
>> restriction.
>
> 	It is what I am trying to find out.  There is a website, http://
> wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX/QemuWork, that indicates that it can be done.

I'm not impressed with that page... it has formatting problems, has
out of date information, has broken links and typos... And it doesn't
say anything about actually running wine using qemu. It just shows
how to run a very simple sample program.

qemu was an interesting project when Macs used PowerPC processors and
the only way to run Intel software was through emulation. Now that we
have Macs using Intel processors that are many times faster than the
fastest PowerPC Mac ever was, it seems to be a moot point; buy an
Intel Mac if you want to run Intel software.

Still, if you want to try to get this to work on PowerPC, I see now
that we do have two qemu ports in MacPorts: qemu and qemu-usermode.
The latter sounds like what they're talking about on that wiki page.
You could try installing that. If that works, then you can edit the
wine port to remove the pre-fetch Intel processor check. Then install
the wine port. If it builds, see if it can be used with qemu. If so,
I can revise the wine port.

P.S: Please remember to Reply All so your reply goes to the list too,
not just to me.