graphics.sty

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Oct 28 12:49:05 PDT 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 07:50:39AM -0700, David Epstein said:

> I did a find command on graphicx.sty and got
> /opt/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/graphicx.sty

That is the active version (see

<http://guide.macports.org/#internals.images>

for information on active/inactive and port images).  It's actually a link
to something which resides in ${prefix}/var/macports/software.

> /opt/local/var/macports/software/teTeX/3.0_4/opt/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/graphicx.sty
> /opt/local/var/macports/software/teTeX/3.0_5/opt/local/share/texmf-dist/tex/latex/graphics/graphicx.sty

You have two versions of teTeX installed, 3.0_4 and 3.0_5; you can run 'port
installed teTeX' to see information about installation (versions, active
status, variants).  I'm guessing you just want the latest, 3.0_5, so if
3.0_4 is not active, you can run 'sudo port -f uninstall teTeX @3.0_4' to
remove it (note, if, when you use 'port installed', it shows variants,
you'll need to add those to the uninstall command).  You need to force it
(-f) because of a bug in MacPorts 1.6.

> Presumably I should be doing some kind of port clean command to get rid of
> some of these versions. Which of them needs to be kept? Obviously the first
> is needed, but are the others needed?

The usual suggestion is to use 'sudo port -f uninstall inactive' if you end
up with lots of inactive ports installed when doing upgrades.  There are
various bugs in 1.6 that keep some of this being easy (eg, 'sudo port -u
upgrade <portname>' should be the clean way of upgrading, as it'll remove
the old version, but this fails because the dependency engine gets
confused).

Bryan