transcode 1.1.0 beta1 portfile with quicktime and lzo

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 1 14:30:24 PDT 2008

Thanks for the update, David. I put your new Portfile into the
repository in r39706.

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/39706

Yes, you should submit Portfile changes attached to tickets in the
issue tracker in the future. Pasting submissions into an email is not
optimal as email transport can sometimes add whitespace or rewrap
lines, plus emails can easily get forgotten. At least in the issue
tracker, they can be searched for and found.

It's also best to submit changes as unified diffs, not as full
Portfiles. That way it's easier for both you and the committer to see
what you're changing. In the case of this port, you inadvertently
removed a crucial closing curly bracket in the imagemagick variant. I
fixed this before committing.

I also dropped the "revision 1" line, since the initial revision of
any given version of a port should be 0, not 1, and 0 is the default.

You added pkgconfig as a library dependency (as was given in ticket
#15547), but pkgconfig does not provide any libraries; it's only a
program used at build time to find dependencies. Thus pkgconfig is
properly a build dependency, not a library dependency.

I cannot explain the difficulty of the developer of transcode in
fixing the software to link with ImageMagick since the name change of
its core library. transcode's configure script does not need code to
test for both the old name and the new name; all it needs to do is to
use pkgconfig or Magick-config to discover the library's correct
name, as I explained earlier:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-August/
011149.html

May I also enable the port's parallel build, as requested earlier?

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-August/
011141.html